Author Topic: Olga's Ground Chicken Kyiv  (Read 196 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Olga's Ground Chicken Kyiv
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »
Olga's Ground Chicken Kyiv

I have made regular chicken Kyiv with whole pounded chicken breasts but this time I wanted to try to make them with ground chicken thighs. For this recipe I used 16 regular size organic skinless and boneless chicken thighs (trim away any excess fat). I used panko bread crumbs mixed with Italian bread crumbs because I did not have enough panko bread crumbs.(You can use a food processor to grind your chicken but use a fine grater to grate your onion by hand.)

16 organic skinless and boneless chicken thighs - ground
1 medium sweet Vidalia, onion - ground
2 large cloves garlic mashed with some salt to a paste
Salt and Pepper

FILLING:

3/4 cup unsalted butter
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon finely chopped dill or more to your taste
1 teaspoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley or more to your taste
3 to 4 cloves garlic mashed to a paste (or more or less to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or lime juice (optional)
Dash of hot sauce if you wish

COATING:

Flour (about 1 cup more if needed)
3 large eggs well beaten with 1/4 teaspoon salt
Bread crumbs (about 1 cup more if needed)

The day before you make your chicken Kyiv.  Mash softened butter with salt.  Mash garlic with a little salt to a paste. Add to butter.  Finely chop dill and parsley and add to butter and mix well. Add lemon juice and mix if you are using.  Tear about a 16 inch long plastic wrap or parchment paper and spread butter about 12 inches along the edge of wrap and roll into a 12 inch log approximately.  Freeze until the next day. 

Sprinkle each thigh with some salt and pepper and grind half of them in the grinder.  Add chopped up onion and grind the onions with the juice that comes out of the onions into the ground up chicken.  Continue grinding with the second half of the chicken thighs. Add mashed garlic. Mix well.  Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour or longer until you are ready to cook them.

Use a 8 or 9 inch heavy pot and add about 2 inches of oil.  Heat oil to about 350 degrees F.

Get a large baking sheet and cover with parchment paper. Have ready a bowl of flour, a bowl of well beaten eggs and a bowl of breadcrumbs.

I used a large ice cream scooper for my ground chicken.  Scoop up a rounded scoop of chicken and place in the centre of your ball about 1/2 inch sliced butter round. Make sure butter is well covered with meat.  Gently place in flour and until all sides are covered.  Take into you hands and gently very close to both palms toss gently your ball of meat from hand to hand until it forms the shape of a football.  Place meat into well beaten egg and then into breadcrumbs. Place chicken on parchment paper until all the chicken meat is done. You should have about 14 pieces of chicken Kyiv.

I fry 2 at a time.  Fry one side until golden brown then turn them and fry until the other side is golden brown. I then place them back on the same baking sheet until all pieces are fried. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place fried chicken Kyiv in oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 14 pieces.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:21:35 AM by Olga Drozd »