Author Topic: Ukrainian Kapusniak with Spare Ribs (Sauerkraut Soup with Pork Spare Ribs)  (Read 567 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
UKRAINIAN - KAPUSNIAK WITH SPARE RIBS (Sauerkraut Soup with Pork Spare Ribs):
For my kapusniak I used 4 cups no salt chicken broth, 4 cups low salt beef broth and 2 cups water. I used 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms fried in a little butter. I like to brown my onions slightly when making the roux for added flavour.  I removed meat from the bones and added to my soup. I used naturally  fermented sauerkraut that I purchased at Costco a new product.  I did not have to rinse it because it had the right amount of sour and salt.  Do not buy sauerkraut in cans.  I also used my hand held immersion blender to blend the vegetables. I used my pressure cooker to prepare my soup. After I strained my broth I cleaned my pressure cooker because there is a lot of scum on the bottom of the pot before continuing with the recipe.

2 pounds spare ribs (Pork Spare ribs used)
10 cups water
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic
3 whole cloves
4 to 5 whole peppercorns

1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 parsnip, diced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced

Salt and pepper to taste
4 cups sauerkraut (squeezed dry and chopped)
1 can mushrooms with liquid, OR fresh mushrooms, cooked in stock

3 Tablespoons chopped onion
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
3 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons sour cream
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley and/or dill

Place the first 6 ingredients in a medium sized pot.  Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until the meat is tender.  Remove the meat and strain the stock.

Add the next 5 ingredients to the stock, and season with salt and pepper.  Cook until the vegetables are tender.  Remove the vegetables from stock, and put through a sieve, or puree them in a blender.  Return the meat and the pureed vegetables to the pot.

Add the sauerkraut and mushrooms to the stock, and cook together gently until the sauerkraut is tender, about 20 minutes.

In a medium sized skillet, fry the chopped onion in hot fat until it begins to get limp; add the flour and brown with the onion lightly. Add some soup stock stirring constantly to prevent lumping. Stir until smooth and return it to the soup.  Add the sour cream and correct the seasonings.  Add chopped dill, parsley, or both and finely chopped chives if you wish. Makes  8 to 10 servings. Serve the meat as a separate course if you wish.  Very good with black or rye bread.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:59:48 AM by Olga Drozd »