Author Topic: Shepherd's Pie  (Read 1819 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Shepherd's Pie
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:18:01 PM »
SHEPHERD'S PIE:

Here is the ultimate comfort food. Mushrooms add a depth of flavour to this dish and meat is topped with corn kernels. I like to rice my potatoes before I mash them.

MASHED POTATO TOPPING:

6 potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds/1 kg)
3/4 cup milk OR buttermilk

MEAT LAYER:

1 pound lean ground beef or veal  (I used 1/2 beef and 1/2 veal) OR ground lamb
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced or chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
Few dashes of hot sauce (optional)
1 cup frozen peas OR 1 cup frozen peas-and-carrots blend (optional)
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 (12 ounce) can corn kernels, drained (341 mL)

BREAD CRUMB TOPPING:

2 Tablespoons dry bread crumbs (panko used)
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon paprika - sweet or hot

Preheat oven to 375 F. (190C).  You will need a shallow and greased 12 by 8 inch baking dish (2.5 L).

MASHED POTATO TOPPING:  In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until tender.  Drain and mash using a potato masher or electric mixer; beat in milk until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

MEAT LAYER:  In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until no longer pink.

Reduce heat to medium.  Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme and marjoram and a few dashes of hot sauce if using and frozen peas or blend of peas and carrots; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened.  Sprinkle with flour;  stir flour into meat mixture; stir in stock, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 minutes.  Season with salt, if necessary, and pepper to taste.

Spread meat mixture in baking dish; layer with corn.  Place small spoonfuls of mashed potatoes over corn and spread evenly. NOTE:  (The recipe can be prepared up to this point earlier in the day or the day before, then covered and refrigerated.)

BREAD CRUMB TOPPING:  In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika; sprinkle over top of shepherd's pie.

Bake in preheated (375 F.) oven for 25 to 30 minutes (40 minutes, if refrigerated) or until filling is bubbly.  Serves 6.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 12:22:03 PM by Olga Drozd »