Author Topic: German - Prinzregententorte - (Prince Regent Torte)  (Read 2231 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
German - Prinzregententorte - (Prince Regent Torte)
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
German - Prinzregententorte -  (Prince Regent Cake)

The Prinzregententorte is Bavaria's unofficial "chocolate sweet"--six thin vanilla sponge layers sandwiched together with the richest chocolate butter cream ever.  This recipe comes from Munich's famous Cafe Luitpold.  It is not the easiest cake to make, but this recipe has been simplified by baking three layers in springform pans (which can be halved when cool). The cake is unusually porous and spongy, so it doesn't break as you split the layers.  NOTE: It's best to bake and assemble the Prinzregententorte one day and to serve it the next--the flavors get together better. For easier cutting of the cake layers, I placed toothpicks around the cake to guide me as I cut around the layer. I did not go all the way to the middle, I took dental floss and sawed gently through the cake layer. I reserved about 1 cup or more of the buttercream for decorating the top of the cake. I placed first cake layer on the plate I would be serving and cut strips of parchment paper and placed them slightly under the first layer. This way the serving plate would stay clean.  Remove them after the chocolate coating has been poured and chilled.

SPONGE CAKE:

6 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar (divided)
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (1 stick or 1/2 cup)
7 large egg whites
1 1/3 cups sifted CAKE flour

CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM FILLING:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
5 large egg yolks
7 squares (1 oz. each) semisweet chocolate, melted over simmering water
1 1/2 pounds unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pats (6 sticks or 2 1/2 cups)

APRICOT GLAZE:

1/3 cup sieved apricot jam, warmed just enough to spread easily

CHOCOLATE COATING:

6 squares (1 oz. each) semisweet chocolate, melted over simmering water
1/2 cup boiling water (from the kettle)

FOR THE CAKE: Beat the yolks with 1/3 cup of the sugar, the salt and vanilla until pale yellow and fluffy; drizzle in the melted butter, beating hard until mayonnaise like (about 5 minutes).

Beat the egg whites until frothy, then gradually add the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, beating hard to stiff, glossy peaks.  Pour the yolk mixture on top of the whites and fold in gently. (There is a lot of meringue but when you add the flour it will settle down.) Add the flour in about eight additions, sifting each one over the batter and folding in with a light touch. Divide the batter evenly among three lavishly greased and floured 8-inch springform pans OR 8-inch layer cake pans (for layer pans place a round piece of parchment paper on the bottom and lightly grease) (about 1 1/3 cups plus a little extra batter per pan).  Rap the bottom of each pan smartly on the counter three times to release large trapped air bubbles and to level the batter in the pan.

Bake the layers in a moderate oven (350 F. OR 175 C.) for 15 minutes or until pale tan and cakes feel springy.  Do not overbake them or they will be rubbery.  Remove the layers from the oven and cool upright in their pans on wire racks for 5 minutes; loosen and remove the springform sides and bottoms. NOTE: If using layer cake pans, loosen the cakes carefully and invert on wire racks. Cool to room temperature.

FOR THE CHOCOLATE BUTTER CREAM FILLING:
  Combine the sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan set over moderate heat and bring to the soft ball stage (236 F. or 114 C.) without stirring.  Also start melting the chocolate.

Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks until and pale; slowly drizzle the hot syrup into the yolks, beating hard all the while.  Beat in the melted chocolate and continue beating until the mixture cools to room temperature.  Now beat in the butter, pat by pat, until the filling is fluffy light. (This will take a while to do.)

TO ASSEMBLE THE TORTE:  With a sharp serrated knife, split the layers in half horizontally, using a gentle sawing motion.  Place the bottom layer on a cut to fit cardboard circle on a cake rack set on a paper covered counter.

Spread with the chocolate butter cream, making the layer of filling as thick as the layer of cake.  Repeat until all layers are in place.  Frost the sides of the torte as smoothly as possible with the chocolate butter cream, but leave the top plain.

Quick chill the torte until the butter cream is firm--about 30 minutes.  Remove the torte from the refrigerator and spread the top evenly with apricot glaze; refrigerate torte about 1 1/2 hours.

CHOCOLATE COATING: Whisk the melted chocolate until creamy, then beat in the boiling water--the mixture should be absolutely smooth.  Cool almost to room temperature or until the chocolate is a good spreading consistency.

Pour about 2/3 of the chocolate over the torte so that it oozes evenly across the top and eases down the sides; direct and smooth the chocolate with a spatula.  Apply the remaining chocolate smoothly around the sides of the torte, filling in any skimpy spots--your aim is for as even a chocolate coating as possible, rather as if the entire torte had been dipped in chocolate.  Once again, quick chill the torte to set the chocolate.

Store the torte in the refrigerator about 12 hours before serving, then let it stand at room temperature about 1 hour before serving. Cut the pieces small--the Prinzregententorte is very rich!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:12:01 PM by Olga Drozd »