Author Topic: BUBLYKY- Basic Bagels with Variations  (Read 4496 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
BUBLYKY- Basic Bagels with Variations
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
UKRAINIAN -OSNOVNY BUBLYKY - BASIC BAGELS:

Ukrainian pioneers brought with them foods such as borshch (beet soup), varenyky, cabbage rolls (holubtsi), kasha (buckwheat), kolach (chala), and bublyky (bagels) that today are familiar favorites on the Canadian menu. These are soft and chewy (very nice sliced and toasted). Simple and plain with no added fat or eggs. I used in all 5 cups of Canadian Robin Hood unbleached flour. I made 12 larger bublyky instead of 18.

2 packages active dry yeast (2 Tablespoons)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups warm water (about 110 F.)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional) dough enhancer
Pinch of Lecithin (optional) dough enhancer

3 Tablespoons sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups all purpose flour, unsifted (more or less as needed)

12 cups water with 1 Tablespoon sugar (for boiling bublyky)
Cornmeal
1 egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon water (for glaze)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water with 1 teaspoon sugar and ginger and lecithin if using (5 minutes).  Stir in sugar and salt; gradually mix in 4 cups of the flour.  Beat well to make a smooth batter.  If using electric mixer use the paddle and beat until dough pulls away from the bowl at medium speed.  By hand mix in about 1 1/4 cups more flour to make a stiff dough. (I needed only 1 cup).

Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic about 20 minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking--dough should be firmer than for most other yeast breads. At the end of kneading I like to throw my dough on the counter for about 15 times.  You should have blisters under the skin when the dough is kneaded enough. Turn dough over in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 60 minutes.

Punch dough down; knead briefly on a lightly floured board to release air, then divide into 18 (I made 12) pieces. I press my dough out into a 8 inch round and cut it into 12 as if I'm cutting a pie, then I roll each piece into a ball.

To shape, knead each piece, forming it into a smooth ball.  Holding ball with both hands, poke your thumbs through centre.  With one thumb in the hole, work around perimeter, shaping bublyk like a doughnut, 2 1/2 to 3 inches across.  Place shaped bublyk, on a lightly floured board, cover lightly, and let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.

NOTE:
I cut square pieces of parchment paper to place my bublyky on--then took paper and inverted bublyk into boiling water (without the parchment).

PREHEAT OVEN TO 400 F.

Bring water sugar mixture to boiling in a 4 or 5 quart pan; adjust heat to keep it boiling, gently. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it and sprinkle with cornmeal. Gently lift one bublyk at a time and drop into water; boil about 5 or 6 at a time, turning often, for 5 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spatula, drain briefly on a towel, and place on baking sheet.

Brush bublyky with egg mixture.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds if you wish.  Bake in a 400 F. preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes or until well browned and crusty.  Cool on a rack.  Makes 18 bublyky (bagels.)

VARIATIONS:

WHOLE WHEAT BUBLYKY:
  Follow recipe for Basic Bublyky, omitting the 3 Tablespoons sugar; use 3 Tablespoons honey instead.  In place of the flour use 2 cups, whole wheat or graham flour, 1/2 cup wheat germ, and about 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour (all unsifted). Mix in all the whole wheat flour and wheat germ and 1 1/4 cups of the all purpose flour before beating dough.  Then mix in about 1 1/2 cups more all purpose flour; knead and finish as directed.

PUMPERNICKEL BUBLYKY:
Follow recipe for Basic Bublyky, omitting the 3 Tablespoons sugar; use 3 Tablespoons dark molasses instead.  In place of the flour use 2 cups rye flour, 2 cups whole wheat or graham flour, and about 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (all unsifted).  Add all the rye and 1 cup EACH of the whole wheat and all purpose flour before beating dough.  Then add remaining 1 cup whole wheat and about 3/4 cup more all purpose flour; knead and finish as directed.

MORE BUBLYKY VARIETY:
Try adding 1/2 cup instant toasted onion to Whole Wheat or Basic Bublyky--add it to yeast mixture along with sugar and salt.  Or sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon poppy seed or sesame seed or 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt on each glazed bublyk before baking.  Or add 1 Tablespoon caraway seed to Pumpernickel Bublyky, then sprinkle each glazed bublyk with 1/2 teaspoon more caraway seed before baking.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:44:04 PM by Olga Drozd »