Author Topic: Memoriam to the Victims of Chornobyl, by composer Larysa Kuzmenko (YouTube Video)  (Read 7183 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
“Memoriam to the Victims of Chornobyl” is a work for solo piano by Canadian composer Larysa Kuzmenko.

This work has become the most popular performed piece of music throughout the world.

In Memoriam was inspired by the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl. The piece begins with a quietly rising melody, a sort of premonition that hypnotizes the listener into further investigation. Ukrainian melodies veiled in coruscated harmonies suddenly explode into a rhythm so furious that it seems untameable by human hands. Finally, the tension erupts into a long rumbling phrase that takes the listener into the profound silence that follows.

COMPOSER'S NOTE: The opening theme is dark and ominous; it sets the tragic mood of the piece. Following this idea, I quote a sad but lyrical Ukrainian folk tune that describes a grave in the field begging the wind to keep it from dying and asking the sun to shine over it.  The tempo suddenly quickens, and the music becomes very rhythmic, creating a rather chaotic atmosphere.  The music reflects the mechanical sound of the nuclear reactor.  The folk tune has taken on a different character here.  It no longer is lyrical and is supported by jarring harmonies.  The music signals the reactor’s first explosion at its first climax.  Following this explosion, the music becomes very quiet, and slows down.  Here, the folk tune essentially has exploded into little fragments creating a kind of pointillistic texture.  At this point, the music represents the invisible, yet fatal radioactive particles that are poisoning the atmosphere.  The tempo builds up once again, and the music moves towards the second climax signaling the second explosion.  Here, I quote a sacred chant from the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, asking God for forgiveness. The Piece ends with the reappearance of the opening material, setting a mood that questions the future of our planet.

Ukrainian Folk Song:

A GRAVE IN THE FIELD (Oy u poli mohyla )

In a field is a grave. It speaks to the wind:
Blow low and gently over me, so I will not turn black, and die.
Let the grass grow green above me.
But the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine.
Only out in the steppe near the road the grass grows green.
In the steppe a winding river flows.
Over the river a bridge stands.
Don’t leave me your true father, my Kozak friend.
Leave your father, you shall wilt and die, and flow quickly pass the Danube.
On that river no spawned fish appear
For eternity it took my friend.
In the river only algae grows.
It took my friend pass the Danube.

Translated by Olga D.

Music performed by a very talented young lady Becky t'Mannetje, In Memorium to the Victims of Chernobyl, composed by my very talented sister Larysa Kuzmenko.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kvTyXtifc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kvTyXtifc</a>

Music sheets been published by Plangere Publications and is available through them at www.plangere.com. Plangere is also publishing Fantasy for Solo Cello and "In Search of Eldorado" in versions for mezzo soprano and soprano.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:41:09 AM by Olga Drozd »