Author Topic: Ukrainian Bread Machine Babka  (Read 183 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Bread Machine Babka
« on: April 09, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Ukrainian Bread Machine Babka

This recipe has a few steps.  First you will boil milk with some of the flour and stir until it looks like mashed potatoes.  This step will make the Babka when baked fine grained and more cake like.  To give the Babka more colour I replaced some of the butter with 1  Tablespoons of Red Palm Oil - also it keeps the Babka fresh longer and softer (see Note). I did not add raisins to my Babka. I baked my Babka in the oven but you can bake this Babka in your bread machine if you wish.  This recipe makes 1 1/2 pound loaf.

1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup Bread flour

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast
2 1/4 cups Bread flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel or orange peel or a mixture of both
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
6 Tablespoon unsweetened butter (OR 5 Tablespoons butter and 1 Tablespoons Red Palm Oil)
4 large egg yolks

3/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar

Bring the milk to a boil.  Stir in 3/4 cup bread flour.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture looks like mashed potatoes.  Remove from the heat and let cool.

When milk/flour mixture has cooled add all the other ingredients except the raisins, cinnamon, and brown sugar to the bread machine in the order suggested by your bread machine manual.   Process on the bread cycle according to the manufacturer's directions. Mix the raisins with the cinnamon and brown sugar and add at the beeper (or at the end of the first kneading. At the end of the entire cycle, let the babka cool 30 minutes in the open machine to keep the sides of the bread firm and straight. Makes 1 Babka.

(If baking in the oven put cycle on DOUGH let it mix and rise then remove dough).

IF BAKING IN THE OVEN Take dough out from the machine and knead in the raisin mixture if you wish and form into a ball.  Grease your pan and place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of pan. My pan was 4 inches deep and 7 inches wide, about. Gently press dough in your pan of choice.  Let the dough rise until it nearly reaches the top of your pan.  This will take about 1 hour or more depends on how warm your place is.  (I place my Babka in the oven with the pilot light on. Remove babka from the oven when it has risen if you are doing this step before baking.)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.  Place oven rack in the center of your oven.
When Babka has risen then brush your Babka with 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon of cream or milk.

As soon as your Babka has risen then place Babka in the oven and right away turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F. The Babka will take about 35 to 40 minutes to bake. NOTE: If you have an instant read thermometer, you can tell more precisely when your loaf is done.  Insert the thermometer into the center of the loaf; the bread is done if the internal temperature is 200F. or just under. Some breads are done at slightly different temperatures, but the range for most loaves falls within 5 or 10 degrees of 200F., so it is a good figure to keep in mind. Remove Babka from the oven place on rack and let cool for 15 minutes in the pan then remove gently and place Babka on rack.

NOTE:  RED PALM OIL:  Unrefined cold pressed Alpha Red Palm Oil is rich in natural heart friendly ingredients, especially "Super Vitamin E" (tocotrienols), an antioxidant proven to be helpful for maintaining good health.  Also beta-carotened, the most active and important form of carotenoids, is found in red palm oil. It gives red palm oil its deep orange-red color.  Carontenoids are a form of pro-vitamin A, which in red palm oil there is 15 times more than in carrots and 30 times more than in tomatoes.

The fatty acid composition of red palm oil is a healthy mixture of saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated fatty acids.  Red palm oil possesses excellent cooking properties.  It is more heat stable than other vegetable oils and adds superior taste, texture, and quality to all kinds of foods including baked goods.  It can be blended into mayonnaise or salad dressing.  Contains no trans fatty acids or cholesterol.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 09:59:52 AM by Olga Drozd »