Author Topic: Ukrainian Khrusty/Verhuny (Crispy Twigs or Angel Wings)  (Read 33552 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Khrusty/Verhuny (Crispy Twigs or Angel Wings)
« on: June 11, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
Ukrainian Khrusty/Verhuny (Crispy Twigs or Angel Wings)

These crisp, light Khrustyky are fried like fritters. They are best eaten on the day they are made and are lovely served with coffee or tea. You can double this recipe if you wish.

2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
4 Tbsp. sugar
4 Tbsp. whipping cream - divided
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
Pinch salt

Confectioners' Sugar (powdered/Icing)
Oil (or vegetable shortening) for deep frying

In a electric mixer -- Beat yolks and whole egg together until thick and lemon coloured, about 10 minutes.  Add the sugar and beat well to dissolve about 5 minutes.  Sift the flour with a pinch of salt and whisk 1/2 of it into the egg mixture, alternating with the cream. Mix in the other 1/2 of the flour by hand (with a spoon) with remaining cream. Leave to stand for 1 hour in the refrigerator.

Divide the dough in half for easier rolling.  Turn 1/2 of the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead gently with floured hands.  Dough will be sticky at first.

Roll out lightly until paper thin with a well floured rolling pin on a well floured surface. (I used a Silpat (Roul'Pat) non-stick countertop workstation - well floured to roll out the dough).

Using a fluted pastry wheel, I used a pizza cutter, cut into strips about 3 inches X 1 1/2 inches. Cut straight across or cut diamond shape.

Cut a slit in the lower half of each piece.

Pull one end through the slit.  I stretch my piece a little bit more to make them thinner.

Deep fry at 350º F. until golden brown on both sides. Cook a maximum of 4-6 crullers at a time. Drain on paper towels.  Place confectioners sugar in a sieve and sprinkle sugar on them before serving. Makes about 36.

NOTE: For more variations click on the link >> Khrustyky/Chrusty/Verhuny variations

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:00:10 AM by Slavko Drozd »

joryanna29

• View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Khrusty/Verhuny (Crispy Twigs or Angel Wings)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
As small children, we could not pronounce this dish in Ukrainian language, so my Mom decided we could call them 'cows.' To this day, Pizza Hut original crust recipe (rich and buttery) always seems similar, but now, I can try the original recipe. Including dusting with icing sugar like I remember! Thanks! :)

I think My Mom used to fry them up in big batches, and would store them in the freezer but you are right, fresh, hot deep fried is incredible!

joryanna29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:20:30 AM »
One more thing - with having my Beloved Mother In Law having passed 5 years ago, I certainly do appreciate little notes and comments you make Re: the recipes... great hints and tips, that are easy to understand, and follow! :)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:37:28 PM »
Thank you joryanna20, I do appreciate your kind words.  You have made my day!

Happy Cooking
Olga :)