Author Topic: Light Rye Bread  (Read 3078 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Light Rye Bread
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:27:13 PM »
LIGHT RYE BREAD:

This is a light rye bread and is perfect for smoked meat sandwiches. I always use dough enhancers like ground ginger and citric acid.

2 Tablespoons active dry yeast (30 mL)
2 1/2 cups lukewarm water (625 mL)
1/4 cup liquid honey (50 mL)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
Pinch citric acid crystals (vitamin C) (optional)

1 Tablespoon salt
2 Tablespoons melted and cooled shortening
2 1/2 cups rye flour (625 mL) (Bob's Red Mill Stone Ground Dark Rye Flour used)
5 to 6 cups all purpose flour (1.25 to 1.5 L) (I used approx. 4 1/2 cups Bread flour)
2 Tablespoons caraway seeds (optional)

Proof the yeast with the sugar in the lukewarm water with the honey and dough enhancers if using. When it has bubbled up well add the salt and shortening.  Stir well.  Add the rye flour and caraway seeds if desired and beat well. Add enough white flour to make a soft dough.  Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour to keep dough from sticking.  Place in greased bowl; cover and leave to rise till double or just a little bit more.  Punch dough down, knead for 2 or 3 minutes and leave to rest covered with the bowl.

Shape into TWO round hemispherical loaves and place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. I use parchment paper--sprayed lightly with vegetable spray then I add the cornmeal. Cover with lightly sprayed plastic wrap and let rise till double. Preheat oven to 400º F.

With a razor blade or sharp knife make several crosswise cuts on the surface of the dough.  Let rise a few more minutes. Bake for 35 minutes, glazing if desired with potato or cornstarch glaze.  (I glazed only once before placing bread in the oven). Cool on rack.

Starch Glaze:
Mix 5 teaspoons of cornstarch or potato starch with 7 Tablespoons of cold water.  Cook until thick but still soft enough to brush onto the bread.  Brushed on once before placing in the oven, twice during the last half of the baking time, and once again on removal from the oven, starch glaze gives a hard, mirror like sheen.  Used for rye bread.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:42:02 PM by Olga Drozd »