Author Topic: Ukrainian Soft Rolls (bulochky)  (Read 17742 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Soft Rolls (bulochky)
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:59 PM »
UKRAINIAN SOFT ROLLS - BULOCHKY

Tender, spongy and delicious. Serve with coffee or with a meal. Slice and toast the buns once they get a little dry and they will become soft and spongy again. My favourite eggs to use when making yeast pastries is called Naturegg Omega PRO. The yolks in these eggs are orange not pasty yellow like in other eggs and the bread has a lovely yellow colour.  Especially good for babka baking when you're using a lot of egg yolks.

1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger (optional) as a dough enhancer
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups scalded milk
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 eggs, beaten
8 to 8 1/2 cups sifted flour

Dissolve the sugar and ginger in the lukewarm water, sprinkle the yeast over it, stir and let it stand for 10 minutes.

To the hot scalded milk, add the butter or margarine, and stir until melted. Mix in the remaining ingredients except the flour. Stir in the yeast. Add enough flour to make a medium soft dough. Knead on board until smooth and satiny, and blisters appear on the surface.

Cover and let it rise in a warm place until double in bulk about two hours. Punch down and let it rise again about 1 hour. Shape as desired. Place in a greased baking pan and brush with melted butter. For crisp-crusted rolls, dip each one in melted butter or margarine before placing it in the pan.

Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk about 35 minutes. Bake in a moderately hot over 400°F. for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350°F., and continue baking for 15 minutes longer, or until done. The baking period will depend on the size of the rolls. Yield: 3 dozen medium-sized rolls.

Blisters should appear under the skin when dough has been kneaded enough.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:10:45 AM by Slavko Drozd »

Elmer Gawryletz

• View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Soft Rolls (bulochky)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:25:42 PM »
Hello Olga
I baked some of your Bulochky this week and they are delicious !!

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Re: Ukrainian Soft Rolls (bulochky)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:13:10 PM »
Hello Elmer Gawryletz and Welcome to Ukrainian Classic Kitchen.

I'm glad you liked the bulochky and thank you for letting me know.

Happy Cooking,
Olga :)