Author Topic: Welcome, Forum Rules, & Copyright Info.  (Read 7626 times)

Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome, Forum Rules, & Copyright Info.
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:13 AM »
Welcome to the Ukrainian Classic Kitchen,

Registration to this forum is free and simple!

We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below.

When you register at UkrainianClassicKitchen.ca, we will never share or sell your email address with third parties. By default your email address will be hidden from the public on this forum, but you can allow forum members to email you via Ukrainian Classic Kitchen by selecting the option during registration or in your profile account settings.

Please note that all postings under the Ukrainian and International categories are restricted to the administrator – but can be read by members and guests. To post Recipes, Requests, Introductions, Discussions, Questions, and et cetera; please post under “ Postings by Members ”.

FIVE SIMPLE RULES TO THIS FORUM
  • If you post a recipe that originated from copyrighted material (i.e. Cookbooks), Please do not post any of its literary expressions (see note below: Copyright issues)
  • Members who post spam, obscene language, defamatory remarks, or otherwise violate the user agreement will be banned via IP address, membership deleted, and posts with the violation will be deleted immediately.
  • Members that own an e-commerce (business) website - please do not use this forum as an opportunity to post your URL to solicit business, your post and/or URL will be removed.
  • Posting URL's to e-commerce sites are not allowed unless requested by another member that is related to cooking in general (e.g. recipes, cooking, appliances, supplies, foods, video’s, etc.).
  • If you are looking for a recipe, and can’t find it – Please try the Search feature first at the main menu for a more comprehensive search, or use the basic search box at the right end of the menu before posting any requests in the “Recipe Requests" board.

Notes: Copyright issues

Please be aware that recipes and certain other content are not capable of copyright.

Lists of ingredients are not protected by copyright. Explanation of techniques is not restricted either, as a rule. Literary license in the form of prose is, however, guarded by copyright.

Example:

Part I:
        I like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as they bring a bright smile to my face. They are especially good with a cold glass of milk.

Part II:
  • 2 slices of white bread
  • 3 Tablespoons peanut butter
  • 2 Tablespoons strawberry Jelly

Part III:
        With a knife, spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread. With the same knife, spread the jelly on the other side of bread. Press together the two slices of bread, with the peanut butter and jelly facing each other.

Explanation:

Part I is under copyright.  An entity cannot reproduce Part I (even as bad as it is) without attribution.
Part II is not protected by copyright - Period.
Part III is where it gets a bit iffy.  In the case of the above, Part III is most likely not sheltered by copyright. There's not much in the form of literary expression. Instead, it's essentially a formula that uses the list of ingredients. Such formulas are not covered by copyright.

However, if there was a fair amount of prose interspersed within the formula, then it can be protected by copyright.  If Part III was dressed up with memories of making the sandwiches, and tied together with a personal anecdote or two then no one could legally use it without permission.

Conclusion:

formulas (ingredients) are not covered by copyright, but literary expression in the form of directions or description might be protected, if it can be proven to be truly creative.

To be safe, when it comes to other people's description and directions as indicated in PART I and II, don't copy the fancy stuff (expressions of literacy), put it in your own words. You probably made the recipe, you probably did it somewhat different than the original directions anyways, describe what you did.

"Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection."

Source: Copyright office
"Copyright protects only the particular manner of an authors™ expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to names, titles, short phrases, ideas, systems, or methods."

Source: Copyright office

Thank you,

Ukrainian Classic Kitchen
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:43:53 AM by Slavko Drozd »