Author Topic: Ukrainian Nalysnyky z Syrom / Crepes with Cheese Filling  (Read 19593 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Nalysnyky z Syrom / Crepes with Cheese Filling
« on: March 28, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
Ukrainian Nalysnyky  z Syrom / Crepes with Cottage Cheese Filling

Tender Nalysnyky with a  light cheese filling.  In this recipe I used 1 pound (454 g) Elwest Baking Soft Cottage cheese (5.5% M.G./M.F) in place of the creamed cottage cheese. This cheese was soft but crumbly. You can use any kind of favourite cottage cheese you like though. If your cheese is a bit on the dry side add some cream or sour cream to the cheese or if it is wet then leave the cream out. A dry ricotta cheese sold in packages is a good choice also. The batter must rest for at least 30 minutes or more, which allows the flour to absorb the liquid and the batter to thicken to the consistency of whipping cream. For a very yellow batter I used Naturegg Omega PRO eggs - sold in Loblaws and Metro.  I did not put dill in my filling.

FOR THE NALYSNYKY BATTER:

3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water or 1 cup water
4 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil, for brushing pan as needed

FOR THE CHEESE FILLING:

2 cups creamed cottage cheese
2 eggs, well beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon chopped dill (optional)

About 1/2 to 1 cup of half and half cream or whipping cream to pour over nalysnyky and extra butter or vegetable oil to brush nalysnyky

For the batter:
In a 2-quart bowl or a blender, thoroughly combine milk, the water, eggs, salt, and melted butter.  Blend in flour to form a smooth batter.  Let rest 30 minutes or longer.

Heat a 6-inch diameter crepe pan or heavy skillet over medium high heat until smoking.  Lower heat slightly and brush interior surface of pan with oil.  Spoon about 3 Tablespoons batter into pan, quickly swirling batter to coat bottom pan.

NOTE: My pan was slightly larger about  7 1/2 inches and I used a scant 1/3 cup of batter.

Cook until the nalysnyk is dry and slightly browned (1 minute). Turn nalysnyky over and cook second side 30 seconds.  Remove to a plate to cool completely.  Repeat procedure with remaining batter.  Brush pan with oil as needed.

Preheat the oven to 300 F.

To make the filling:  Mix cottage cheese, eggs, salt, 1 Tablespoons sugar and dill if using in a food processor until smooth. Use about 2 Tablespoons of filling for each nalysnyk.

You can cover the whole crepe with about 2 Tablespoons cheese and fold the ends slightly in and then roll them up as you would a jelly roll.  Or place about 2 Tablespoons on the bottom of the crepe in a long layer and fold the crepe over the filling and then fold the ends in slightly and roll up them like a jelly roll.

Place them in one layer seam side down in a buttered 9 X 13 inch pan.  Pour in about 1/2 cup of cream and brush each nalysnyk with melted butter.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Uncover and brush with more butter and bake for another 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream. Serve leftovers fried in butter.

TO MAKE SWEET DESSERT NALYSNYKY: Add 2 Tablespoons sugar to the batter and add more sugar to taste to the filling. Leave out the dill.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:36:59 PM by Olga Drozd »