Author Topic: German - Black Forest Torte / Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte  (Read 8972 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
German - Black Forest Torte / Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:27:35 PM »
Black Forest Cake / Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte:

Elegant in the old world tradition.  Very light and tender cake layers.  There is no baking powder or soda in the cake.  Make sure your eggs are at room temperature. I usually take them out and put them in a bowl and pour hot tap water over them to warm them up for about 10 minutes. I slightly adapted this recipe which I will explain below. I could not find Kirschwasser at the liquor store so I used cherry brandy.

6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sweet butter, melted and cooled

BRANDIED SYRUP:

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cold water
1/4 cup kirsch (or cherry brandy)

FILLING AND FROSTING:

2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar (Icing/Confectioners')
1 (16-oz.) can sweet, dark pitted cherries, drained
1 oz. semisweet or milk chocolate (used bittersweet about 2 oz. for decoration)

Grease and flour THREE -  8-inch cake pans.  Or lightly spray with vegetable baking spray.  Cut out circles of parchment paper to fit in each cake pan and lightly spray the paper. Preheat oven 350 F.

In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.  Add sugar and vanilla.  Beat at high speed until thick, for 5 minutes.  Sift the flour and cocoa together and place them in a sifter again.  Gradually sift flour/cocoa over egg mixture while very gently folding in.  I like to use a large stainless steel spoon.  Stir in melted butter 2 Tablespoons at a time until just blended.  Spoon into prepared pans evenly.  About 2 cups in each pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until done.  Cool in pan 5 minutes.  Turn out on wire racks.  Cool completely. 

Prepare Brandied Syrup:  In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Continue boiling without stirring 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Cool to lukewarm.  Stir in Kirsch.

Place a tray underneath the cooling rack and prick layers of cake with a fork. Carefully spoon syrup over each layer.  I used 4 to 5 Tablespoons of syrup for each layer.

Whip cream until it begins to thicken.  Add confectioners' sugar; continue beating until stiff.

Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with whipped cream.  Top with second layer; spread with whipped cream.  Place third layer on top.  Arrange cherries on top layer, leaving about 1/2 inch around outer edge for whipped cream.  Frost side and 1/2 inch circle on top with remaining whipped cream.  Refrigerate cake.  Make chocolate curls or grate chocolate with coarse side of grater.  Gently press chocolate into whipped cream.  Refrigerate until serving time.  Makes one 3-layer, 8 inch cake.

This is how I did mine. I had a bag of frozen sour cherries. (600 gram package of sour cherries - Nudefruit brand).  After I made the syrup using (3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water) and cooked for 5 minutes I emptied the package of frozen sour cherries and cooked them in the syrup until it came to a boil.  I took it of the heat and let it cool slightly and then poured in the cherry brandy and placed it in the refrigerator overnight. Next day I strained the cherries and dried them a bit with paper towels.  I cooked the syrup again for a few minutes and after it cooled slightly I put in 1 Tablespoon of cherry brandy. I used 4 to 5 Tablespoons of syrup for each cake layer. I did not use all the syrup. I used more whipping cream than 2 cups. Recipe below.

For the filling and topping:  3 cups whipping cream, 1/2 cup confections' sugar. If you wish you can fold in up to 4 Tbsp. of kirsch after cream is whipped stiff ( I did not do this).

Place 1st layer on a serving plate.  Add about 1/3 of the cream and place 1/2 of the cherries on top.  Add the second layer and add cream and other other 1/2 of the cherries. Add the third layer and cover top and sides with cream.  Decorate as seen in the photo. I used maraschino cherries (patted dry) for each rosette. I used a swivel potato peeler to shave chocolate for decorating. Place chocolate in microwave for a few seconds to soften for easier shaving.

NOTE:
  When baking layer cakes, place pans on middle rack of oven with at least 1 inch between pans and 1 inch from sides of oven.  This allows proper circulation of heat necessary for even baking.

Folding in the flour/cocoa mixture into beaten eggs
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:52:52 PM by Olga Drozd »