Author Topic: Ukrainian Three Tiered Lemon Glazed Kalach - Solotkiy Kalach (KOLACH)  (Read 5115 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Three Tiered Lemon Glazed Kalach (Kolach) - Solotkiy Kalach

This festive sweet bread with lemon glazed topping can be made for any occasion.  For Christmas decorate it with red or green cherries and nuts, for Easter sprinkle some coloured sprinkles and for Memorial bread leave it plain. I always use a dough enhancer with the yeast (the yeast loves them), add 1/4 tsp. of powdered ginger.

For more information about dough enhancers, click the following link >> Dough Enhancers

1 package active dry yeast (1 Tablespoon)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger (optional)
1/4 cup warm water

2 eggs
1 egg, separated
6 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
4 1/2 to 5 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)

Lemon Glaze:

1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar (icing/powdered)
2 tsp. lemon juice
2 to 4 tsp. milk

Sprinkle yeast into warm water with the 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ginger if using. In a large mixing bowl, beat whole eggs and egg yolk until blended.  Stir in sugar.  Heat butter and milk until warm and add to egg mixture.  Blend in salt, lemon peel and dissolved yeast.  Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.  Mix in raisins if using. Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.  After kneading for about 5 minutes, I always throw my dough onto the counter for about 30 counts and knead a few minutes more. The dough should have little blisters just under the skin, that means it has been mixed enough.

Place in a greased bowl and butter top of dough lightly.  Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down.  Turn out on a floured board and knead lightly.

Divide dough in HALF. Divide one-half of the dough into 4 pieces.  Roll each into strands about 18 inches long.  Braid the 4 strands as follows. This is very easy just follow the formula. Place the ropes on a greased baking sheet and pinch together at the top.  The ropes will occupy positions 1, 2, 3, 4 -- starting from the far right -- Lift the FOURTH strand OVER the THIRD strand -- UNDER the SECOND strand -- OVER the FIRST strand. Repeat the same starting from the far right again -- FOURTH OVER THIRD -- UNDER SECOND -- OVER  FIRST. Repeat again always starting with the fourth strand to the far right until all strands are braided.  Tuck ends under at the finish.

Divide the remaining dough in the following manner:  Take 2/3 of the dough and divide into 3 pieces.  Makes strands about 16 inches long and braid.  Place on top of the 4 strand braid.

Divide remaining dough in half. Make 2 strands, each about 14 inches long.  Twist these together and place on top. I like to attach the strands with long wooden kabob sticks, just in case the strands want to shift. Let the bread rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. (I like to keep my braid in the oven with the pilot light on to keep warm but remove bread before preheating).

After bread has risen beat remaining egg white until light and brush over top.  Bake in a Preheated 350ºF. oven 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow then thumped.  (I always use an instant read thermometer to test--it should read 200°F. just to make sure dough is done).  Spread with Lemon Glaze while still warm.

For the Lemon Glaze: Blend ingredients together. You might need more milk if glaze is not smooth enough. I had to use 4 teaspoons milk to get the right consistency.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:21:04 AM by Olga Drozd »