Author Topic: Poppy Seed Filled Crescents (Rohalyky) - low in fat  (Read 14270 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Poppy Seed Filled Crescents (Rohalyky) - low in fat
« on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
Poppy Seed Filled Crescents - Rohalyky

This recipe is not as rich as the other recipe here for poppy seed Filled Crescents (Ukrains'ki Rohalyky). This recipe has less butter and no sour cream and no eggs in the dough. Since I did not have any dry bread crumbs I used 1 Tablespoon Japanese panko crumbs for the filling. I only had 2 cups all purpose flour so I added some bread flour to the dough also. My son said he wanted the filling a little bit more sweeter and asked for Buckwheat honey and so I added 1 Tablespoon to the filling. Sometimes you have to improvise.

PASTRY:

1 Tablespoons active dry yeast (1 package)
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger

1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour or as needed

1 egg and a bit of water for egg wash
Poppy seeds or demerara sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)

FILLING:

1 1/2 cups ground poppy seeds (about)
1/3 cup sugar or to taste
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
1 Tablespoon bread crumbs
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
2 Tablespoons ground almonds
1 egg, beaten

FOR THE DOUGH: Dissolve the yeast in the warm water along with the sugar and ginger.

Heat the milk to boiling and add the butter, sugar, and salt. Cool to lukewarm, then add the yeast mixture. and 1 cup of the flour, Beat vigorously, then add the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.  Let it rest for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth about 8 to 10 minutes. I like to throw my dough on the counter about 20 times and knead. When blisters appear on the surface and dough no longer sticks to your hands then it is kneaded enough. Put into a lightly greased bowl, turn to grease the top, cover, and let rise for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled.

Cut the risen dough in half. Roll 1/2 of the dough into a 10 inch circle.  Spread the dough with soft butter and cut into 8 wedges.  Spread about 1 scant tablespoon of filling at the wide edge, spreading almost to the edges.  Roll up toward point.

Place on greased parchment lined jelly roll pan and shape into crescents or "horns." Repeat with the other half of the dough. All 16 crescents should fit in the pan. Let rise in pans for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350ºF.  Brush crescents with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds or coarse sugar if you wish.  Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until nice and brown.

FOR THE FILLING:

I always wash my poppy seeds.  Pour boiling water over seeds and let stand for about 1 hour.  Drain and repeat.  Place seeds in a damp towel and squeeze out water.  Grind in processor until seeds release milk and turn light gray, then add the rest of the ingredients.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:57:44 AM by Slavko Drozd »