Author Topic: Cooked Vegetable Vinaigrette (Salata z Varenoiu Horodyny Vinehret)  (Read 12484 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian - Cooked Vegetable Vinaigrette (Salata z Varenoiu Horodyny Vinehret) 

Delicious potato salad made with beets, pickles, white beans, apple, onions, and carrots.  You don't have to follow this recipe to the exact measure.  If you like more beets, pickles, or more oil or vinegar, feel free to add to your taste. Or add a can of rinsed (boiling water from the kettle) and drained white beans of your choice instead of soaking dry beans. For this recipe I used one can (389 mL) of organic Great  Northern Beans. I'm very fond of beets, so I added extra. Instead of cooked beets use canned Whole Rosebud Beets (398 mL) and dice them. Home cooked beets taste better though.

2 medium all purpose potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon Gold), cooked in their skins until tender- - cool and peel and cut 1/4 inch dice
1 large beet, cooked in its skin until tender -- cool and peel - and cut into 1/4 inch dice (or canned beets)
2 dill pickles, preferably homemade or the ones sold in delicatessens - cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 tart apple - cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 medium carrots, scraped and cooked until tender - cut into 1/4 inch dice
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white beans, soaked for 4 hours in cold water to cover, and cooked in the same water until tender according to the package instructions

DRESSING:

2  or 3 Tablespoons vinegar
2 or 3 Tablespoons olive oil or sunflower oil
1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon or Dusseldorf)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 Tablespoons water
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel the potatoes and beets, cut them into 1/4 inch dice, cut the  pickles, apple, and cooked carrots into 1/4 inch dice also.  Combine the diced ingredients with the finely chopped onions and cooked beans and mix carefully.

Mix all the dressing ingredients together, pour over the vegetables, and toss gently, then add salt to taste.

Serve in a decorative bowl at room temperature, either as an hors d'oeuvre or as a side dish for entrees.  Serves 6. Make the day before to blend the flavours.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:32:30 PM by Olga Drozd »