Author Topic: Varenyky with Onion Butter (Perogies)  (Read 38180 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Varenyky with Onion Butter (Perogies)
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:15:37 PM »
UKRAINIAN VARENYKY WITH ONION BUTTER (Perogies)

This popular Ukrainian dish Varenyky is also known as pyrohy, perogies or potato dumplings. Cheesy potato filling surrounded by a tender, almost non-existent, dough that melts in your mouth. Oil them well and mix them with a rubber spatula because the dough is very tender. They are easier to pull apart if they are well greased after they have been refrigerated. Drizzle oil and melted butter over the varenyky toss and then add the onion butter. For the most tastiest cheese I use the 5 year old Balderson cheddar cheese. I also like to cook my potatoes in their skins, peel and mash. Best potatoes to use is the Yukon Gold or my favourite Russet potatoes. Sometimes I leave out the creamed cottage cheese and just use extra cheddar cheese. This time I did not add onions as shown in the photo.

DOUGH:

2 cups All purpose flour
1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1 tsp. Salt or less
2 tsp. Cooking oil
2/3 cup Warm water, approximately

ONION BUTTER:

1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup butter or half oil and butter or just vegetable oil

TWO CHEESE POTATO FILLING:

1 3/4 cups hot mashed potatoes (3 to 4 medium) do not use food processor
3/4 cup Grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup Creamed cottage cheese, mashed with fork
1/8 tsp. pepper

FOR BOILING:

16 cups boiling water
1 Tbsp. salt

DOUGH: Combine flour, baking powder add salt in food processor. Process for 3 seconds.

With motor running, slowly add cooking oil and enough warm water through feed chute until a ball begins to form. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 3 to 4 times until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 20 minutes.

ONION BUTTER: Saute onion in butter in small saucepan on medium-low for about 10 minutes until onion is soft but not brown. Keep hot.

TWO CHEESE POTATO FILLING: Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl until Cheddar cheese melts and mixture is evenly moist. Makes about 2 1/4 cups filling. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll out 1 portion into a rope about 12 inches long. Keep other portions covered. Cut at 1 inch intervals. Press balls slightly to flatten. Cover with plastic wrap. Stretch and press 1 ball to about 2 1/2 inches in diameter or roll out with rolling pin. Place in palm of hand. Place about 2 tsp. filling centre. I like to make the potato filling a day ahead so that it is cold.

Fold dough in half. With well floured fingers, pinch edges firmly together to seal. Edges of dough may be moistened if desired. Arrange in single layer on lightly floured tea towel-lined baking sheet. Cover with tea towel to prevent drying. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Cook varenyky, in batches, in boiling water and salt in large pot or Dutch oven for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until varenyky float to top. Allow to bob for 1 minute. Remove using slotted spoon. Drain. Turn into large bowl. Drizzle some Onion Butter over each varenyky batch. Gently shake to mix and prevent sticking. Makes 4 dozen varenyky.

VARIATION: Add 6 bacon slices, cooked crisp and crumbled, to Two Cheese Potato Filling.

VARIATION: After varenyky are cooked, sauté, in batches, in 2 tsp. butter in frying pan until lightly browned.

TO MAKE AHEAD: Place filled varenyky (cooked or uncooked) on baking sheet, in layers between waxed paper or parchment paper. Cover. Freeze until solid. To remove varenyky, hit baking sheet on counter to pop them off. Store in resealable freezer bags in freezer. To cook from frozen, do not thaw. Boil, as above, increasing cooking time after they float to top.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:34:43 PM by Olga Drozd »

Ukrainianlearner

• View Profile
Re: Varenyky with Onion Butter (Perogies)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:04:48 AM »
These are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where did you get that wonderful plate? :)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »
Welcome Hutsul to Ukrainian Classic Kitchen.

My friend Luba and I go shopping to second hand shops, such as Goodwill, Salvation Army or Value Village. Anytime I see Ukrainian dishes or anything with Ukrainian design I buy it. Every time we look at these treasures we say to each other about how Baba has died and her grandchildren have given these things away. How sad is that. These lovely things are safe with me and I think of the person who had them once upon a time.

andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
How about a video on how to make these?  ;)

Olga B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:50:56 AM »
Hello from Australia.  I made these tonight and they were delicious - My mother who is 89 was very impressed. I put a tablespoon of mashed potato in the dough mixture as that's supposed to make the dough really tender (they were). Also, I put in a couple of spoonfuls of quark cheese  with the mashed potatoes. Just wondered though  how the dough compares with your other varenyky recipe (the one with the egg). I'm a bit loathe to try it as I thought the egg would make the dough tough????

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:55 AM »
Hello Olga from Australia and welcome to Ukrainian Classic Kitchen,

The other recipe with one egg and 1/2 cup of cream cheese in the dough is the best.  It is very easy to roll and very tender.

Link..http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=7411.0

Here is a link for 13 different recipes for dough

Link>>>http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=6461.0

Link to fillings

Link>>>http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=6443.0

Here is a rich and tender dough recipe with potatoes

Rich Dough for Varenyky (pyrohy)

The following recipe gives rich and tender varenyky dough.

1/2 cup cold mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons shortening
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour

Mix the first 3 ingredients thoroughly. Add the water and beat well. Sift 1 3/4 cups of flour with the cream of tartar and salt, and then stir into the first mixture. This will form a very soft dough. Add 1/4 cup of flour in 2 tablespoon portions until the dough no longer sticks to the hand. The dough should be very soft. If some of the flour is left, use it for flouring the board. Knead lightly, cover, and let it stand for 10 minutes. Roll quite thin, cut into the desired shape and form varenyky, using any favorite filling.

Olga that lived at one time in Melbourne :)