Author Topic: Ukrainian Makovyy Korzh / Poppy Seed Filled Short Crust Pastry  (Read 25751 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Makovyy Korzh / Poppy Seed Filled Short Crust Pastry
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:48:17 PM »
Ukrainian Makovyy Korzh / Poppy Seed Filled Short Crust Pastry:

This is a very tender, and buttery pastry (no sugar in the pastry) and it is filled with a spongy cake like filling of canned poppy seeds and ground poppy seeds.  You can find poppy seed fillings in cans in any Eastern European food stores and deli's. Canned poppy seed fillings are already sweetened with nuts, prunes, etc. You can make the pastry by hand or like I do in the food processor -- make sure your food processor container is large enough to hold the flour.

PASTRY:

2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into Tablespoons sized pieces (I put the butter in the freezer for about 15 minutes)
1/4 cup ice water
3 large egg yolks

FILLING:

1/2 cup poppy seeds
6 large egg yolks
6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups canned poppy seed filling
3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 teaspoon baking powder

8 egg whites, beaten until stiff
1/8 teaspoon salt

Confectioners' sugar for dusting

Using Food processor, insert the metal blade into the work bowl and add the flour, salt, and butter. Pulse 4 or 5 times to cut the butter into small pieces.  Pour the ice water into a 1-cup measure, add the egg yolks, and mix with a fork to combine well.  While pulsing, slowly pour the liquid through the feed tube, then pulse very rapidly (a fraction of a second per pulse) about 30 times, until the pastry forms large clumps but not a coherent mass.  Turn the pastry out onto an unfloured work surface and press the lumps of dough together.  The dough will be firm.

By Hand, combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.  Add the butter and cut it in with a pastry blender or two knives until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.  Pour the ice water into a 1-cup measure, add the egg yolks, and mix with a fork to combine well.  Gradually add the liquid to the dry ingredients while tossing with a fork.  Stir with the fork until the pastry just gathers into a firm mass.  Turn the pastry out onto an unfloured work surface.

Flatten the dough and shape it into a rough rectangle.  Dust the dough and work surface lightly with flour and roll the dough to a rectangle measuring about 15 X 10 inches. Fold the dough in thirds like a business letter. Wrap securely in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

To shape the dough, cut it crosswise in two, making one piece slightly larger than the other.  Let the dough stand at room temperature for about 5  to 10 minutes to soften slightly.  Roll the large piece to a 15 X 12-inch rectangle, using as little flour as possible.  (This is a very easy dough to work with).

Grease with butter a 13 X 9-inch baking pan and carefully fit the dough into the pan, trying to avoid stretching it, especially in the corners.  Once the dough is in the pan, lift and nudge the sides to fit, pressing the dough so it adheres to the sides, without stretching.  If necessary, use your fingertips to even the dough's thickness.  Don't be concerned if the corners of the dough are a bit thicker than the sides.  With a small sharp knife, trim the dough on the sides to a height of about 1 1/2 inches. Place in the refrigerator.

Measure the top opening of the pan.  Roll the smaller piece of dough to a 14 X 10-inch rectangle, then trim it to a size about 1/4 inch large on all sides than the pan opening.  Set the dough on a baking sheet and refrigerate.

Adjust an oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 400º F.

Meanwhile, make the filling.  Grind the poppy seeds in a coffee or spice grinder for 20 seconds, or until they are finely ground and starting to become pasty.

Beat the 6 yolks in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until thick and lemon colored for 5 minutes.  Then still beating, gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the yolks are very thick and pale, about 5 minutes more.  Beat in the canned poppy seed filling, the ground poppy seeds, and the flour.  Add the softened butter, almond extract, and baking powder and beat them in well.

In a large clean bowl, with clean beaters, beat the 8 egg whites with the salt until they form stiff shiny peaks that curl slightly at their tips when the beaters are raised.  Fold the whites into the poppy seed batter in 3 installments, just until no whites show.  Spread the batter in the pastry-line pan.  Carefully place the chilled rectangle of dough over the filling.  With a fingertip, gently press the edges of the dough onto the bottom crust to make a snug fit; work carefully and slowly to avoid tearing the crust.  Do not prick the crust.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.  During baking, the pastry will rise and puff slightly and the top crust may separate from the bottom--this is all right.  Cool the pastry in it pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.  During this time, the top crust will level itself.

Run the tip of a sharp knife around the sides to release the pastry from the pan.  Cover the pan with a wire rack, long enough to hold the pan and invert the two.  Carefully lift off the pan, and leave the pastry top side down to cool completely.

To serve, dust with confectioners' sugar and cut the pastry into portions with sharp serrated knife.  Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream flavoured with vanilla.

Storing: This pastry will stay fresh for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator, wrapped airtight.  Bring to room temperature before serving.  Makes 16 to 20 servings.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:51:21 AM by Olga Drozd »

ASHLEY

• View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Makovyy Korzh / Poppy Seed Filled Short Crust Pastry
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:54:06 PM »
I live in near Penrith (Sydney) , where can I buy canned poppy seeds or how would I substitute. Thanks, Olga

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Re: Ukrainian Makovyy Korzh / Poppy Seed Filled Short Crust Pastry
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »
Hello Ashley, You can find canned poppy seeds in Eastern European grocery stores or German grocery stores. I'm sure they sell Solo brand canned poppy seeds in Australia.  Or you can use my filling that I make for Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll.

FOR THE POPPY SEED FILLING:

2 1/3 cups ground poppy seeds
1 cup HOT, BOILING, MILK (or light cream)
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup sugar
Honey to taste (optional)
1/2 teaspoon almond flavouring (or vanilla)
3/4 cup golden raisins (or finely chopped up prunes)
2/3 cup chopped almonds (or pecans or walnuts)
1 egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs

THE DAY BEFORE: Scald with boiling water 2 1/3 cups poppies and drain off the water. I do this about 3 times. I put poppy seeds in a bowl, scald with hot water and wait until the poppies have settled and then pour off the water.

Let stand for 1 hour in hot water. Drain poppies through a cheesecloth covered net sieve. Let them dry preferably overnight. This way they smell fresh and not dusty. Grind in a coffee grinder, or through finest blade of food chopper or if you are lucky to have a poppy seed grinder. I use a large stone Mortar and Pestle.

FOR THE POPPY SEEDS: Stir HOT milk into GROUND poppy seeds, add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed. Stir until cool. Sometimes I like it sweeter so then I add liquid honey to taste. I also might add some ground prunes to the mixture.

You can purchase ground poppies (NOT in a can) freshly ground or frozen from a German deli or Eastern European food stores. I still give them a good scalding several times to remove the bitterness and dust from the poppies.