Author Topic: Ukrainian - Cheese Spiral Buns - Spiral'nyy Syrny Bulochky  (Read 4671 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian - Cheese Spiral Buns - Spiral'nyy Syrny Bulochky
« on: April 14, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
Ukrainian - Cheese Spiral Buns - Spiral'nyy Syrny Bulochky

This is a delicious light lemony sweet dough that is easy to prepare.  Next time for the filling  I will add a little more cheese and mix the cream cheese with farmers cheese or ricotta cheese (ricotta cheese sold in a package which is a drier cheese). These taste like babkas with cheese. I think they would be nice to make for Easter. Fill with either Number 1 or 2 or make up your own combination.

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger (optional)
1/4 cup sugar (divided)
1/2 cup warm milk (105 to 115º F.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 to 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 large egg
1 egg yolk

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg white mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glaze

CREAM CHEESE FILLING: # 1

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup golden raisins

Sprinkle yeast over the water with ginger if using in large bowl of electric mixer. Add 1 Tablespoon of the sugar.  Let stand until yeast is soft about 5 minutes.

Add remaining sugar, milk, salt, lemon rind, and the 1/4 cup softened butter.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour.  Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Add the egg yolk and the whole egg, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.  Stir in about 1 1/4 cups more flour to make a soft dough.

Turn dough out onto a board or pastry cloth (I used a Silpat (Roul'Pat) non-stick countertop workstation) coated with some of the remaining 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour.  The Silpat makes me use less flour because the dough does not stick to it).  Knead until dough is smooth and satiny and small bubbles form just under surface (10 to 12 minutes), adding just enough flour to prevent dough from being sticky.  I also take the dough and throw it down on the counter for about 20 times.

Turn dough in a greased bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and a towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.  While dough rises, prepare one of the Fillings.

Punch dough down.  Cover with inverted bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.

Roll dough out on a floured surface into a 12 X 16 inch rectangle.  Brush with the 2 Tablespoons melted butter. Drop dollops of cheese over the dough and then spread evenly over the dough. Starting from an 16 inch side, roll dough jelly-roll fashion, moisten long edge and pinch to seal.  Cut roll into 1-inch slices.

In a parchment lined pan (a jelly pan will do) grease paper and arrange dough slices cut side down 1 inch apart.  Cover with parchment or waxed paper and let rise until doubled in bulk about 40 to 45 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350º F.

In a small bowl beat egg white with with 1 teaspoon water.  Brush lightly over rolls.  Bake until richly browned (25 to 30 minutes).

If you wish drizzle with icing glaze while the buns are still warm. For the icing glaze use 1 cup confectioners' sugar (Or vanilla confectioners' sugar, that is what I use) mixed with a little hot water about 2 Tablespoons and 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract if your don't have confectioners' vanilla sugar (optional).  I use a little whisk and drizzle with the whisk over the buns.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Makes 16 rolls.

Cream Cheese Filling:  In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and cream until fluffy.  Blend in sugar, then lemon rind and vanilla.  Stir in raisins. I think it is easier not to stir in the raisins.  Spread cheese mixture over the dough and then sprinkle the raisins evenly on top.

CHEESE FILLING #2

1 cup cottage cheese or cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup raisins

If you are using cottage cheese, press it twice through a fine sieve or strainer, or puree until smooth in a food processor.  If you are using cream cheese, beat vigorously to soften.  Add the sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon zest, and egg yolk, and mix together thoroughly.  Stir in the raisins.

NOTE: HOW TO MAKE VANILLA SUGAR:
Cut up a vanilla bean, place it in a jar with a lid, and pour in granulated sugar.   Put on the lid and shake the jar to distribute the bean. Remove vanilla bean pieces when you measure out the sugar.  Pop the pieces back in the jar and add fresh sugar. (This also works with powdered sugar/confectioners'/Icing sugar--just slip a whole bean in the package.) That way you'll always have vanilla sugar or powdered/icing sugar on hand.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 12:24:56 PM by Olga Drozd »