Author Topic: Ukrainian - Zhytnyy Khlib z Tsybulynoiu / Sour Rye Bread with Onions  (Read 8483 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian - Zhytnyy Khlib z Tsybulynoiu / Sour Rye Bread with Onions

A very hearty sour rye with a soft smooth crumb. This is the kind of bread I like that is easy to slice thin if you want yet firm, soft and chewy with a nice thick crust.  I would recommend to use all of the 6 cups of all purpose flour.  I used 5 cups of white flour and found the bread a bit too soft and hard to handle.  I can't believe how this bread had risen on just 1/2 teaspoon and a pinch of yeast. This dough had a life of its own and it wanted to go and do what it wanted.  I found it easier to make a round bread. Instead of light rye flour I used Bob's Red Mill Organic Stone Ground Dark Rye Flour. Adding onions to the dough is to speed up the sour process and to add flavor.

STARTER:

Pinch of active dry yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
Pinch of ground ginger (optional)
Pinch of citric acid (optional) or  (Vitamin C)
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour

SOUR RYE:

1/2 cup lukewarm water
1/2 cup light rye flour

FOR THE BREAD:

5 to 6 cups unbleached all purpose flour - divided
1 1/2 cups light rye flour
Sour Rye Starter (above)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened. OR olive oil
1 cup coarsely grated onions (just under 1/2 pound) Use the large hole grater

Make the starter at least 12 hours before using it.  Stir the pinch of yeast into the lukewarm water to dissolve it and if using the citric acid and ground ginger.  Stir the flour in to make a smooth batter.  Let stand, covered, for 12 to 36 hours.

To make the sour rye, stir the water into the starter above then stir in the rye flour.  Cover with plastic and let stand for 12 hours, or overnight.

When ready to proceed, make the dough.

MIXING DOUGH BY HAND:
In a large bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups warm water and 1/2 teaspoon yeast.  Add the sour rye and stir to break it up into the liquid.  Add 2 cups of the all purpose flour and the 1 1/2 cups rye flour and stir well, about a minute, always in the same direction.  Sprinkle on the salt, add the butter or oil, and stir in. Add the onions and and stir in.  Add 2 more cups all purpose flour, a cup at at time, turning and folding the dough.  When it gets too hard to manipulate with a spoon, turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead, incorporating flour as needed, for 10 minutes, or until firm but still a little sticky.

MIXING DOUGH WITH A STAND MIXER:
Place 2 cups of the all purpose flour, the 1 1/2 cups rye flour, and the sour rye in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the dough hook.  Mix briefly.

In a small bowl, stir together the 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water and 1/2 teaspoon yeast to dissolve the yeast.  Add to the flour mixture.  Mix at the lowest speed for 2 minutes.  Sprinkle on the salt, add the butter or oil, and mix briefly.  Add the grated onions and 2 1/2 more cups all purpose flour and mix for 5 minutes until the dough cleans the bowl.  Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead for a few more minutes adding more flour as needed.  This dough will be a little sticky (because of the rye) but fairly firm.

Place the dough in a large, clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Let rise for 4 hours.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and cut it in half.  Shape into two bullet-shaped loaves.  Flatten each piece out to an oval or rectangle, then roll up from a short side.  Pinch the seam to seal and place seam side down on a lightly floured surface in a warm (70º F. to 75º F.) place.  Cover loosely with a cotton cloth to keep warm, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  The loaves will be a little tacky and soft when ready. (I made one bullet shaped and one round)

Meanwhile, place a baking stone or unglazed quarry tiles, if have them, OR a baking sheet on a rack second from the bottom, ( I used an unglazed ironstone baking sheet)  and preheat the oven to 450º F.  Fill a sprayer with water.

When ready to bake transfer one loaf to a cornmeal or flour-dusted peel (or the back of a baking sheet).  Make 3 diagonal slashed in it with a straight razor or a sharp knife, then transfer to the hot baking stone, tile, or sheet, jerking the peel out from under it. Repeat with the other loaf. (I baked mine one at a time).  Spritz generously with water. Bake for 15 minutes, repeating the spritzing four or five times in the first 10 minutes.

Lower the heat to 400º F. and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer.  To test for doneness, tap the bottom of each loaf-it should sound hollow.  Let cool completely on a rack, at least 2 hours.  The loaves are best left unsliced until the next day.

This bread freezes well.  Let cool for 12 hours, then seal in a plastic bag and freeze.  To defrost, let stand overnight at room temperature.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:49:19 PM by Olga Drozd »