Author Topic: Ukrainian Filled Yeast PYRIZHKY with Variations on Fillings, also recipe for Short Crust Pyrizhky  (Read 88668 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
UKRAINIAN  FILLED YEAST PYRIZHKY - (Stuffed Buns) and short pastry for pyrizhky

Here is the recipe for baked pyrizhky. Everyone loves these pyrizhky they are light and tender and the best you have ever tasted if I say so myself. Make the dough soft and elastic and make sure blisters appear on the surface of the dough after you have kneaded.

Pyrizhky are well-liked pastries with a filling. Pyrizhky are usually made of yeast-raised dough but for important occasions, puff pastry or short pastry may be used.  For my filling I used cooked leftover (blade) roast (finely chopped and a couple of finely chopped fried shallots, and finely chopped mushrooms fried with the shallots about 1 cup, a couple of Tablespoons golden raisins and a bit of gravy and 1 raw egg yolk, salt and pepper and a bit of hot sauce to taste. The egg white I used for wetting the edge of the dough before sealing). I make the filling the night before because the filling is easier to stuff.

1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger or pinch of citric acid (vitamin C) or both as a dough enhancer  (optional)
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast

1 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup butter or shortening or oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups sifted flour

Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water with the powdered ginger, sprinkle the yeast over it, and let it stand for 10 minutes. To the hot scalded milk, add the butter, and cool to lukewarm. Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and yeast. Mix in enough flour to make a medium soft dough as for bread. Knead on a floured board until smooth and satiny. Return to the bowl, cover, and let it rise until double in bulk. Punch down, knead a few times in the bowl, and let it rise again. After the second rising do not punch down. Use any favourite filling in the recipes that follow.

To make pyrizhky, cut off small egg-sized pieces of dough, flatten each or roll 1/4 inch thick.
Place a generous portion of the filling in the center, (about 1 rounded teaspoon) bring the edges together, and press to seal securely -- All edges must be free of filling.

NOTE: (I wet the edges with beaten egg white for a better seal and with well floured fingers seal the dough). I then roll the pyrizhky between my palms and seal again with well floured fingers at the seam again -- this prevents the pyrizhky from opening (double sealing).

Shape into an oblong with a plump center and tapering ends and place sealed side down on a well buttered parchment lined pan. This is the traditional shape of pyrizhky.

As an alternative method, the dough may be rolled 1/4 inch thick, cut into squares, filled, and sealed as directed.

Place, sealed side down, on a greased baking sheet, spacing them 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart. Cover and let them rise in a warm place for about 30 to 40 minutes until they are light.

Brush them with a beaten egg diluted with 2 tablespoons of water or milk. OR brush with whipping cream and sprinkle sesame seeds on top if you like.

Bake in a moderate oven on the second level from the bottom (preheated 350º to 360º F. oven) for 30 to 35 minutes depending on their size until brown on the bottom and top. Makes about 22 to 24.

COOKED MEAT FILLING: (Nachinka z varenoho abo pechenoho miasa.

Use any kind of cooked ground meat (pork, veal, beef, chicken).  Combine the meat with a chopped or grated onion, cooked in butter or bacon fat. Butter gives a much better flavour.  Add a little gravy to moisten the mixture sufficiently.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  If desired, a small quantity of any one of the following may be added:  Cooked rice, chopped cooked mushrooms, hard cooked eggs, chopped fine.  For additional flavouring, parsley or dill may be used.

MEAT FILLING:

1 medium onion, chopped fine
4 tablespoons butter (divided)
1 pound ground beef, or half pork and half beef, or even left over cooked meat
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup stock or water
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Cook the onion in half of the butter until it is tender. Add the remaining butter and the meat. Brown the meat lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over a low heat until done. Remove the meat. Stir the flour into the drippings. Add the soup stock or water, then cook, until the sauce comes to a boil. Combine with the meat and cool. Mix in the parsley and chopped eggs. For the above recipe I used leftover meat which I chopped up and added the same ingredients as above for meat filling.

SAUERKRAUT FILLING:

If you wish you can add other ingredients to your kapusta.  Sometimes I add a handful of seedless raisins, grated carrots, a teaspoon of brown sugar and finely chopped fried mushrooms.  I like to use half and half olive oil and butter for the fat.

1 1/2 to 2 quarts sauerkraut
1 large onion, chopped fine
4 to 5 tablespoons fat
Salt and pepper.

Rinse the kraut well in warm water, squeeze dry, and chop finely. Cook the onion in the fat until tender. Add the kraut and cook it for about 15 minutes, or until the kraut is tender but not overcooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a mild flavored filling, add some fresh cabbage that has been cooked, squeezed dry, and chopped. This filling should be dry.

COTTAGE CHEESE FILLING:

1 pound dry cottage cheese
1 tablespoon thick sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped dill, if desired

Press the cottage cheese through a sieve or mash it well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Use with a yeast-raised dough.

MUSHROOM FILLING:

2 pounds mushrooms
1 onion, chopped fine
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 tablespoon chopped dill
1/4 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste

Clean and wash the mushrooms.  Cook  the wild variety of mushrooms in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drain thoroughly. Cultivated mushrooms need not be boiled. Chop the mushrooms very finely. Cook the onion in the butter until tender. Add the mushrooms and cream; cook over a low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Season to taste and cool the mixture. If the filling is crumbly, a raw egg may be added. This filling is good with a short pastry.

LIVER FILLING:

1 pound veal liver, sliced
1/4 pound bacon, sliced
1 onion, ground
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1/3 cup milk
Salt and pepper

Scald the liver, drain, and remove the membrane. Cook the bacon until crisp and remove it from the pan. Cook the liver and onion in the hot bacon fat until the liver is browned on both sides and the onion is tender. Grind the liver, onion, and bacon. Soak the bread crumbs in the milk and combine with the liver mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. an egg may be added to this mixture, if desired. Chill the filling when using it with a short pastry.

GREEN ONION FILLING:

4 cups green onions, cut fine
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped dill
3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

Cook the onions in the butter until wilted. Stir in the dill and cook for 1 minute. Remove the onions from the range, add the eggs, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Use this filling with yeast-raised dough.

CABBAGE FILLING:

1 large head cabbage
1 tablespoon salt
1 onion, chopped
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper

Shred the cabbage very finely, sprinkle with salt, and let it stand for 15 minutes. Squeeze it dry. Cook the onion in the butter until tender. Add the cabbage and cook until it is tender but not overcooked. Mix in the lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the hard cooked eggs. If desired, some chopped, cooked ham or chopped, cooked mushrooms may be added to this filling in place of eggs. Use the filling with yeast-raised dough or short pastry. Allow a generous portion of the filling when making pyrizhky because cabbage settles in baking.

SAVORY CHEESE PYRIH:

Prepare 1/2 recipe of yeast-raised dough for Pyrohy and Pyrizhky, or use bread dough when making bread. Use Cottage Cheese Filling and add to it about 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seed, if desired. A tablespoon of grated, mature onion may be used in place of the green onions. The cheese should be delicately flavoured with onion.

Roll the dough 1/2 inch thick to fit a 10 x 15 inch baking pan. Butter the pan and place the dough in it. Cover and let it rise until almost double in bulk. Spread with the cheese filling and sprinkle the top with melted butter. Cover and let it rise for about 20 minutes. Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 30 to 35 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm.

COTTAGE CHEESE ZAVYVANTSI (rolls):

Prepare the dough as for Pyrohy and Pyrizhky or use bread dough when making bread. Prepare Cottage Cheese Filling. Some chopped green onions may be added to the filling, if desired. Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick, keeping it in a long and narrow rectangle. Spread with the filling and roll it up like a jelly roll. Seal the edges. Cut into 1 inch pieces. Dip each piece in melted butter and place, cut side up. in a buttered baking pan or buttered muffin pans. cover and let them rise in a warm place until light. Bake in a moderate oven (375°F.) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done. Serve warm.

ONION ROLLS:

Prepare the dough as for Pyrizhky. Roll the dough 3/4 inch thick and cut out rounds with a large cookie cutter. Sprinkle the top of each round with a finely chopped onion. Press the onion pieces into the dough. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Let them rise until very light. Bake in a moderate oven (375°F.) for about 25 minutes, or until done. Serve warm with soup or coffee.

NOTE:  If you have a bread machine you can make this dough recipe .  Link>>>>>http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=8457.msg9323#msg9323

SHORT PASTRY FOR PYRIZHKY:

2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or shortening
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water

All the ingredients should be very cold. Fillings should be cold. Sift the flour with the salt. Cut in the butter or shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Combine the yolk with the lemon juice and water. Sprinkle the liquid over the flour and mix lightly until the dough holds together. Chill thoroughly. Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into squares or rectangles of the desired size. Have the filling ready. Place a portion of the filling in the centre, bring the edges together, and seal in a neat ridge along the centre. Place, sealed side up, on a greased baking sheet. Brush with a beaten egg diluted with 2 tablespoons of water or milk. Bake in a hot oven (400°F) for 15 to 20 minutes.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:16:57 PM by Olga Drozd »

Eraine

• View Profile
Thank you!! My husband can't wait for me to make these!!

motherbear

• View Profile
My mother-in-law made a filled pyrizhky that had cottage cheese and onion.  When she baked them they came out browned and shiny, but she didn't serve them this way.  She later put them in a casserole dish and baked them again in a thickened cream sauce that had dill added I think.  Have you heard of pyrizhky being done this way?  The Taste of Ukraine restaurant in St. Albert, Alberta has this dish on their menu, but unfortunately, I rarely get to Edmonton.  If you have heard of this, and have instructions for the sauce, I would sure appreciate help in unravelling this mystery...thank you.

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Hi motherbear,  Sorry I don't have this recipe. Shiny and brown pyrizhky are brushed with an egg wash. This is the only recipe I have but not baked in a casserole with the sauce.

Baked Potato and Cheese Filled Pyrizhky with Cream Dill Sauce

DOUGH:

1 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water

4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, scalded
1/4 cup butter, add to hot milk and cool
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons sugar
8 cups all purpose flour, approximately

Dissolve sugar and yeast in 1 cup warm water.

Beat the eggs, oil, salt, add yeast mixture.

Add butter to the hot milk and let cool. Add mixture to the egg/oil/salt/yeast mixture. Add 1 cup warm water and 2 Tablespoons sugar and beat well.

Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.  Knead about 8 to 10 minutes. Grease large bowl with oil and place dough in it.  Cover and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Make little balls, the size of a walnut, let rest a few minutes.  Stretch with your fingers or roll with rolling pin, and put in the filling, seal well with floured fingers and place in a greased baking pan about 1 inch apart -- let rise about 1 hour. Brush pyrizhky with a mixture of beaten egg and 1 teaspoon of water or cream.

Preheat oven to 350º F. and bake until golden about 15 to 20 minutes.  Serve with Cream Sauce with Dill.

FOR THE FILLING:

3 pounds potatoes
1 pound grated cheddar cheese or dry cottage cheese
2 Tbsp. dill
2 Tbsp. green onion, finely chopped

Cook the potatoes until tender. Drain and mash.  Add cheese, dill, and onion and mix well.

CREAM SAUCE WITH DILL:

2 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1 cup whipping cream
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Dill to taste

Melt butter then add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Add the cream  and let it cook until it thickens, add dill and onions. Serve over Pyrizhky. Makes approximately 4 dozen.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 03:00:02 PM by Olga Drozd »