Author Topic: Ukrainian Braided Buns - Kolachyky  (Read 16342 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian Braided Buns - Kolachyky
« on: December 02, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
Ukrainian Braided Buns - Kolachyky

This 2 strand braid looks like a 3 strand braid. Just follow directions.  It is easy. Buns are very light, fine grained and tender.

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water, 105º F. to 115º F.
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 to 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 slightly beaten egg white for glaze
Sesame seed or poppy seed

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water and let stand 5 minutes.  Add the milk, egg, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Slowly beat in the flour until a stiff dough forms. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.

Turn out onto a lightly floured board and knead until dough is springy and satiny, about 10 minutes, adding just enough flour to prevent stickiness.  Clean the bowl and oil it.  Add dough to the bowl.  Turn over to oil top of the dough.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Lightly oil a work surface. Divide dough into 16 pieces.  Halve each piece.  Roll each into a rope about 6 inches long. Take 2 of the ropes and place one over the other in the form of a cross (+).  Press in the middle so that they stick together. Take 2 opposite ends and cross them over each other, then take the other 2 ends and cross them over the first 2. Continue to braid in this way upwards from the table until the ropes are all braided. When you come to the end of the strands, pinch them together, and lay the entire thing on its side.  That's when you will see the "braid."  Repeat for all of the rolls.

Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them.  Place braids on the prepared baking sheet.  Let rise 20 minutes.  Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seed or poppy seed if desired. If you want the braids to be darker then brush them with whole egg wash.

Preheat oven to 375º F.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and light.  Do not over-bake. Makes 16 braided rolls. If you want larger buns then don't divide the balls in half, use 2 balls and roll into ropes and braid, you will then have 8 braided buns.

NOTE:
The way I divide the dough into 16 pieces--I pat the dough into pie shape cut into 4 and then each quarter into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Divide the ball into half and braid. I used a Silpat (Roul'Pat) non-stick countertop workstation so I didn't have to oil the work surface. If you want tender buns don't add too much flour!

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:16:44 AM by Slavko Drozd »