Author Topic: Greek - Milk Pita (Galatopita) (Sweet Custard Milk Pie)  (Read 14412 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Greek - Milk Pita (Galatopita) (Sweet Custard Milk Pie)
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
Greek - Milk Pita (Galatopita)

Easy to make and not too sweet with a thin layer of buttered and cinnamon sugared layers of filo dough on the bottom.  A soft egg and sugar topping is added to protect the custard as it bakes.

NOTE: The way I did it:   I did not have the right size of pan that is required in this recipe.  Instead I used a 9 x 13 inch pan and buttered it. Brush half a sheet of phyllo with melted butter and sprinkle it with sugar/cinnamon mixture, then fold in half by bring the short sides together. Brush the top half of the same sheet with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, then place in the greased pan. Use about 5 or 6 folded and buttered sprinkled with cinnamon sugar for each sheet. I like to use an aluminum pan that has sharp corners and not rounded.  The dough fit in perfectly. After I did this I placed the pan with the filo in the refrigerator as I prepared the custard. I would suggest you make the topping first.  Prepare the custard filling.  All of the custard fitted into the pan.

1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 Tablespoons sugar

7 to 8 sheets phyllo dough sheets
1/3 cup melted butter

THE CREAM FILLING:

6 cups milk - divided
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup fine semolina (or cream of wheat)
1 1/2 cups sugar
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons vanilla

TOPPING:

2 large eggs
4 Tablespoons sugar

Confectioners' sugar and cinnamon, for dusting

Mix cinnamon with sugar in a small bowl.  Place 8 phyllo sheets over the bottom of a buttered baking (the size of the phyllo sheets), one on top of the other, brushing each one with butter and sprinkling some of the cinnamon and sugar mixture on it. Set aside and place in the refrigerator.

For the Cream Filling: Mix flour, semolina and sugar in a large saucepan.  Stir in a some of the milk about 1 cup.

Heat the rest of the milk until hot and pour it into the semolina mixture, stirring constantly.  Simmer, stirring until the cream is thick (this should take about 6 to 7 minutes).  Remove from the heat.  Add a little of the warm cream filling to the beaten eggs and stir to prevent curdling.  Then add rest of the cream filling, stirring constantly.  Stir in vanilla and butter.  Pour the filling over phyllo sheets.

Topping:    Beat the two eggs with the 4 Tablespoons sugar, until thick and lemon-colored and fluffy (about 5 minutes) and spread over cream filling.  (I used a whisk and drizzled the topping over the custard until all was covered). (Place the pan in a larger pan like a jelly roll pan and place both in the oven.

Bake in a preheated 350º F. oven for about 55 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool.  Cut into squares and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (icing/powdered sugar) and dash of cinnamon.  Serve the same day.  Refrigerate any leftover pita.

Yields about 20 pieces
Preparation time 30 minutes
Baking time 55 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:16:34 AM by Olga Drozd »