Author Topic: Ukrainian - Buckwheat Groats and Mushroom Stuffed Buns (Hrechana Kasha i Hrybovy Pyrizhky)  (Read 18508 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian - Buckwheat Groats and Mushroom Stuffed Buns (Hrechana Kasha i Hrybovy Pyrizhky)

A delicious light and tender dough with a delightful filling of Kasha, mushrooms, and raisins. I always make the filling the day before and chill it in the refrigerator.

FOR THE DOUGH:

1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger or pinch of citric acid (vitamin C) or both as a dough enhancer  (optional)
1 teaspoon all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast

1 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup butter or shortening or oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups sifted flour

Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water add 1 teaspoon flour, powdered ginger, sprinkle the yeast over it and stir well, and let it stand for 10 minutes.

To the hot scalded milk, add the butter, and cool to lukewarm. Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and yeast. Mix in enough flour to make a medium soft dough as for bread. Knead on a floured board until smooth and satiny. Return to the bowl, cover, and let it rise until double in bulk. Punch down, knead a few times in the bowl, and let it rise again. After the second rising do not punch down. Pinch off egg-size pieces of dough, roll into a ball and roll into a 1/4 inch thick circle. Place a generous portion of the filling (about one rounded teaspoon) in the center, bring the edges together, and press to seal securely -- All edges must be free of filling.

NOTE: (I wet the edges with beaten egg white for a better seal and with well floured fingers seal the dough). I then roll the pyrizhky between my palms and seal again with well floured fingers at the seam again -- this prevents the pyrizhky from opening (double sealing).

Shape into an oblong with a plump center and tapering ends and place sealed side down on a well buttered parchment lined pan. This is the traditional shape of pyrizhky.

As an alternative method, the dough may be rolled 1/4 inch thick, cut into squares, filled, and sealed as directed.

Place, sealed side down, on a greased baking sheet, spacing them 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart. Cover and let them rise in a warm place, for about 30  to 40 minutes or until light.

Brush them with a beaten egg diluted with 2 tablespoons of water or milk OR brush with whipping cream and sprinkle sesame seeds on top if you like. With scissors snip tops about 2 or 3 short snips on top of the pyrizhky.

Bake in a moderate oven on the second level from the bottom (preheated 350°F - or 360º F. oven) for 30 to 35  or until brown on the bottom and top.   Makes about 20 to 24 depending on the size you make.

BUCKWHEAT AND MUSHROOM FILLING:

2 Tablespoons butter or oil or rendered chicken fat
1 cup finely chopped onion (I use shallots)
2 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups fresh white mushrooms or brown cremini mushrooms - very finely chopped
1/2 cup very finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup buckwheat groats
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 large egg yolk - to be added after filling is chilled
1 large egg white - for brushing dough circles before stuffing

Melt butter in in large frying pan on medium.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft and golden.  Add mushrooms.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are starting to turn golden.  Add the red pepper, raisins, buckwheat, chili powder, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, Salt and pepper.  Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.

In a medium saucepan add the filling ingredients and pour in broth. Stir.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cook, covered for about 30 minutes, without stirring, until buckwheat is tender and liquid is absorbed.  Transfer to large bowl.  Fluff with fork.  Chill.  Before using filling mix in 1 egg yolk.

TIP: To make rendered chicken fat using the rotisserie. When I make rotisserie chicken in my toaster oven I take the drippings that have dripped onto the pan in the bottom of the oven.  With a fine sieve I strain the drippings into a cup and place it into the refrigerator.  The fat rises to the top and hardens and the chicken drippings on the bottom are jellied.  I remove the fat and use this for frying the onions in the recipe.  The jelly on the bottom I use in soups or gravy.

NOTE:  If you have a bread machine you can make this dough recipe .  Link>>>>>http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=8457.msg9323#msg9323
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:08:29 PM by Olga Drozd »