Author Topic: Kaiser Rolls  (Read 7206 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Kaiser Rolls
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
GERMAN KAISER ROLLS:

Try these crusty German rolls sprinkled with poppy or sesame seeds.  They taste wonderful with hamburgers or ham and Swiss cheese. I used Canadian flour which is stronger (higher in gluten than some American flours)- unbleached (Robin Hood my favourite flour). For this recipe I used 5 cups of flour. So you might have to adjust -- you may need more or less flour. For kneading the dough I kneaded on a Silpat (Roul'Pat) non stick countertop workstation which also made me use less flour because the dough does not stick to it. I made larger buns--12 buns and baked them for 30 to 35 minutes.

2 packages active dry yeast (2 Tbs.)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional) as a dough enhancer
2 cups warm water, (105 to 115º F.)(divided)
1/4 cup sugar (divided)
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup salad oil
6 to 6 1/2 cups flour

1 egg white, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
Poppy seed or sesame seeds

Sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup of the warm water in large bowl of electric mixer.  Add 1 Tablespoon of the sugar. Let stand until yeast is soft (about 5 minutes).

Add the remaining sugar, the remaining 1 1/2 cups warm water, salt, and oil.

Add 4 cups of the flour, mix to blend, then beat at medium speed (with the paddle attachment) until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes).

Stir with a wooden spoon about 1 1/2 cups more flour to make a soft dough. (I used only 1 cup).

Turn dough out onto a board or pastry cloth coated with some of the remaining 1/2 to 1 cup flour. (I only needed a Tablespoon more flour).

Knead until dough is smooth and satiny and small bubbles form just under surface (10 to 15 minutes), adding just enough flour to prevent dough from being sticky.

Turn dough in a greased bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and a towel.  Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (45 minutes to 1 hour).

Punch dough down.  Cover with inverted bowl and let rest for 10 minutes.  Divide into 16 equal pieces.  Shape each into a ball.

Place rolls about 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.  Let rise until almost doubled in bulk (about 30 minutes).

Preheat oven to 400º F.

Brush rolls lightly with egg white mixture.  Sprinkle with poppy seed or sesame seed.  With a razor blade or thin bladed, sharp knife, slash top of each roll, starting from center and making five evenly spaced cuts about 1/2 inch deep.

Bake until well browned (18 to 20 minutes).  Transfer to wire racks to cool.  Makes 16 rolls.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:17:35 AM by Slavko Drozd »