Author Topic: Poppy Seed Filled Horns (Makovi Rohalyky)  (Read 17008 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Poppy Seed Filled Horns (Makovi Rohalyky)
« on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:04 PM »
Ukrainian - Poppy Seed Filled Horns (Makovi Rohalyky)

Ukrainians are very fond of poppy seeds. This dough is rich, tender and not too sweet.  The filling is dark with poppy seeds and raisins with a touch of honey for sweetness.  A most delightful cookie.

DOUGH:

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter plus 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks) -  at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon very finely grated lemon zest

FILLING:

1/2 cup ground poppy seeds
2 1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark seedless raisins
1/4 cup honey
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

OPTIONAL: THE DAY BEFORE: Scald with boiling water the poppy seeds and drain off the water. I do this about 3 times. I put poppy seeds in a bowl, scald with hot water and wait until the poppies have settled and then pour off the water. Let stand for 1 hour in hot water. Drain poppies through a cheesecloth covered net sieve. Let them dry preferably overnight. This way they smell fresh and taste sweet -- not bitter or dusty. (They still will be a little damp but that is okay-- then I grind them.)

1. FOR THE DOUGH: Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and set aside.

2.  Place butter in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until light.  Add sugar and continue beating until mixture is very light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and lemon zest.  Gradually beat in dry ingredients until thoroughly incorporated and dough is smooth.

3.  Divide dough in half and place each half between large sheets of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll each half out into a circle about 10 inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.  The circle doesn't have to be perfectly round, but for best appearance the edges should be fairly even.  Slide rolled dough sheets onto a tray or baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cold and slightly firm but not stiff.

4.  Preheat the oven to 375º F.  Grease several baking sheets or use lightly greased parchment paper lined baking sheets, and set aside.

1.  FOR THE FILLING:  Combine poppy seeds and sugar in a blender and blend until seeds are completely ground; stop motor several times and stir to redistribute mixture.  Transfer mixture to a bowl.

NOTE: (I grind my poppy seeds first in my NutriBullet using the Milling Blade which is perfect for milling oats, nuts and seeds - it grinds the poppy seeds to a paste and then I place ground poppy seeds with the sugar, the raisins, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest in the food processor and puree until smooth.

2. Combine raisins, honey, lemon juice, and lemon zest in the blender and blend until mixture is smooth and pureed.  Add raisin mixture to poppy seeds and stir until well combined.

3. Working with one chilled dough sheet at a time and leaving the other refrigerated, carefully peel off top layer of parchment paper, and replace loosely.  Turn dough over and gently peel away and discard bottom layer of parchment paper.

4. Using a pastry wheel or large sharp knife, cut circle into 8, then 16 equal wedges.  Spoon a generous 1/2 teaspoon filling down the center of each wedge.  Using a table knife, spread filling to withing 1/4 inch of the edges of each wedge.  Working from outer edge of circle toward center, tightly roll up wedges and place on a greased baking sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.  Repeat the process with the remaining dough sheet until all cookies are formed.

5.  Place in the center of the oven and bake cookies for 11 to 13 minutes or until just slightly colored on top and lightly browned at edges.  Reverse baking sheets from front to back about halfway through baking to ensure even browning.  Remove baking sheets from the oven and let stand for about 2 minutes.  Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar if you wish.

Store in an airtight container for 3 or 4 days.  Freeze for longer storage.  Makes 32 (2 3/4-inch) rohalyky.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:26:12 PM by Olga Drozd »