Author Topic: Jellied Veal Loaf (Pig's knuckles and Veal) Studenetz/Kholodets  (Read 4794 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Jellied Veal Loaf

For this recipe I put all the meat in a large pot and covered the meat with water, then I let the water come to a boil and boiled the meat for about 5 minutes.  Remove the pot from the heat and remove the meat and wash it and throw away the water which the meat cooked. You will be surprised how dirty the water and pot is. Wash the pot and add the washed meat and the 6 cups of fresh water and continue with the recipe. I also added to the recipe 1 small parsnip and 1 rib of celery. I did not do the decorative layer as in the recipe, I just added a few sliced cooked carrots on top of the meat and served it right from the mold. For the veal neck I used beef shanks. 

6 scrubbed pig's knuckles
1 pound veal neck (or stewing veal with bone)
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
8 peppercorns
1/2 bay leaf
1 carrot, whole
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 onions stuck with 2 cloves
1/2 cup vinegar OR white wine for a less pronounced vinegar taste
1 teaspoon sugar

1 envelope unflavoured gelatin
1/4 cup cold water

3 hard cooked eggs, sliced (optional) for decoration
Slivers of green pepper and pimiento, for decoration

Place pig's knuckles and veal neck in water, add salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, thyme, carrot, onion and vinegar.  Cook, covered, for 2 hours, or until meat comes away from bone easily. Cut meat into strips or small pieces, discard fat and grizzle.  Discard bones. Strain broth, cool, then chill in refrigerator until fat and scum from meat broth have risen to top and congealed.  Skim off fat. Reheat broth, measure, add liquid to make 5 1/2 cups altogether, and add sugar.  Taste for seasonings.

Soak gelatin in cold water, then add to hot broth.  Pour a thin layer of the gelatin broth into bottom of 1 1/2 quart mold. Chill until partially set. Arrange egg slices if you wish or slices of cooked carrot, green pepper and pimiento in a pattern over the bottom.  Chill until almost firm. To remaining broth, add cut-up meat, and remaining green pepper and pimiento (if you wish you can add 1 or 2 or more cloves of mashed garlic to the broth).  Pour this over decorative layer.  Chill overnight in the refrigerator until firm. To serve, pull away from edges and quickly dip into hot water; invert on platter. Makes about 8 servings. I like holodets served with drizzle of cider vinegar, or hot horseradish or mustard.

NOTE: For Variations, Click on Link >> Ukrainian Jellied Pig's Feet (Head cheese)(Studenetz/Kholodets)(Holodetz)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:35:16 AM by Slavko Drozd »