Author Topic: Ukrainian - KUTYA OR KUTIA USING THE CROCK POT  (Read 28779 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
Ukrainian - KUTYA OR KUTIA USING THE CROCK POT
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Ukrainian - Slow Cooker -  Kutya/Kutia (Christmas Porridge)

Kutya, a cold porridge, is traditionally served at Ukrainian Christmas Eve dinner. The wheat celebrates the staff of life and the honey represents the spirit of Christ.  It also represent an abundant life--and it makes a healthy breakfast.  The preparation is a bit involved, but it will keep in the refrigerator for 10 days, or may be frozen for longer.  Spelt berries may also be used. Soft white wheat berries take less time to cook and are more tender than the chewy hard red wheat berries.  For this recipe I used Bob's Red Mill Hard Red Spring Wheat Berries.  I prefer the soft white wheat berries if you can find them. Next time I will make it with cracked wheat. NOTE:  Cracked wheat is a wheat product made from whole raw wheat kernels which are crushed or cut into smaller pieces.

2 cups hard red wheat berries (soft wheat berries may be used)
8 cups water

6 up to 7 1/2 cups water (depends how liquid you like the finished Kutya))
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup poppy seeds
1 cup water

1/3 cup liquid honey or more if you like it sweeter

1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

Measure wheat into large bowl.  Add 8 cups water.  Let stand, covered, for at least 8 hours or overnight.  Drain.  Transfer wheat berries to a 3 1/2 quart (3.5 L) slow cooker.

To the slow cooker add 6 or more cups of water and salt.  Cook, covered, on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 51/2 hours (depending how soft you want your wheat to be).  Wheat should be split open and liquid should be thick and creamy.  Drain reserving about  1 1/2 cup cooking liquid.  Set aside.

Combine poppy seeds and 1 cup water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium.  Boil gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Drain through fine sieve. (After draining I poured boiling water (from the kettle) over the poppy seed - still in the sieve to give them an extra rinsing)   Transfer poppy seeds to blender (see note).  Add honey.  Process for about 1 minute until poppy seeds are ground.  Add to wheat. Stir, adding reserved cooking liquid a little at a time until desired consistency.

Add walnuts.  Stir.  Taste to see if you would like it sweeter add more honey if needed or a touch of agave syrup. Serve at room temperature or chill until cold.  Makes about 6 cups.

NOTE:  I recently purchased the new NutriBullet extractor  (super powerful 600 watt motor)..  It comes with two blades. One blade to extract and blend fruit and vegetables, along with the skins, and stems which is great for drinks, but the best blade of all is the Milling Blade which is perfect for milling oats, nuts and seeds..  When I added the poppy seeds and started to blend them it blended these little seeds to a paste. The blender does not do a very good job in blending the poppy seeds and I didn't have to blend the honey with the seeds.  I just mixed the honey with the poppy seed paste with a spoon.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:11:37 PM by Olga Drozd »