Author Topic: UKRAINIAN DRIED PEA PYRIZHKY (Pyrizhky z Horokhom) / with Variation on Filling  (Read 16140 times)

Olga Drozd

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca
UKRAINIAN DRIED PEA PYRIZHKY # 1

These are my son’s favorite - especially Pyrizhky #2 - in this recipe I used all white flour.

I used 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour for some of the white flour in recipe #1. This is a very old recipe from the Sokal (Сокаль) district of Western Ukraine.

PYRIZHKY DOUGH:

1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger, or pinch of citric acid (vit.C) or both ginger and citric acid as dough enhancer (optional)
1 Tablespoon active dry yeast

1 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup butter or shortening or oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups sifted flour

Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water with the powdered ginger, sprinkle the yeast over it, and let it stand for 10 minutes. To the hot scalded milk, add the butter, and cool to lukewarm. Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and yeast. Mix in enough flour to make a medium soft dough as for bread. Knead on a floured board until smooth and satiny. Return to the bowl, cover, and let it rise until double in bulk. Punch down, knead a few times in the bowl, and let it rise again. Use any favourite filling.

FILLING:

2 cups dried split peas
1 to 2  tablespoon grated onion
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 egg whites beaten stiff

Pick the peas over, wash in a sieve under running water, cover with lukewarm water, and soak overnight. Drain and grind the peas 2 or 3 times, using the finest blade. The ground peas should be mealy and free of hard particles.  Add the grated onion and season with salt and pepper (I also sprinkled in some powdered garlic). There is no fat in this filling. If the mixture is very dry, add a small quantity of water or chicken broth. Beat vigorously until very light and frothy. The success of this filling depends on its lightness.  Beat in the baking powder. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Have the yeast raised dough ready.

Cut off small pieces of the dough slightly larger than an egg and flatten each.  Place about 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling in the centre; seal very lightly here and there, leaving a few open spaces.  Do not seal completely because this filling requires open spaces for expansion during baking.  Place, SEALED SIDE UP, 1 1/2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Brush with melted fat. This filling is temperamental and settles down readily.  Do not let the filled pyrizhky rise. Bake them immediately in a moderate oven 350º F. for about 30-40 minutes, or until delicately browned and done.  Then brush the crust with melted butter, or bacon fat, and sprinkle the fat generously over the filling.  If you wish, add a well mashed clove of garlic mixed with the fat before sprinkling the filling. Next day you can reheat them in a toaster oven or microwave for a few seconds. Makes about 22 to 24.

NOTE: VARIATION:  Instead of making the individual pyrizhky, you can make it this way.  Roll the dough 1/3 inch thick and line the dough in a greased baking pan. Cover and let it rise until light.  Spread the filling over it and bake as directed. When done, sprinkle the filling with fat. Cut into squares and serve warm.

PYRIZHKY WITH DRIED PEAS #2:

This filling is less troublesome to make.  Follow the above recipe with a few changes.  Prepare the filling by soaking and grinding the peas. Omit the baking powder and egg whites.

Grate 1 small onion and fry it in 3 or more Tablespoons of butter or oil until it is tender.  Add it to the ground peas and beat thoroughly.  Season to taste.  Shape, (see NOTE #2) SEALED side down, on a greased baking sheet. Brush with melted fat. Let the pyrizhky rise until light-about 25 minutes. Bake as directed above.

NOTE: Instead of grating one small onion I chop very fine 4 shallots  or 1/2 a medium size onion and fry it in 4 to 5 Tablespoons butter with 1 clove of grated garlic - salt and pepper to taste. I add this to the ground peas and refrigerate overnight. The next day I add one egg yolk beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper to the peas. (I use the egg white for sealing the pyrizhky.)

The dried peas I use is a small box called Batchelors Quick Soak (250 g). I soak the contents of the box with the tablet that comes with it overnight - after soaking - drain and rinse the peas and grind them 3 times - proceed with the recipe as written above. After forming the pyrizhky I place them on a greased pan and with scissors I snip 2 or 3 little snips on top of them and brush them with garlic butter as the recipe above. Let them rise for about 20 minutes and bake.  If you have any leftover garlic butter brush it over the baked buns after you remove them from the oven.

NOTE #2:  To make pyrizhky, cut off small egg-sized pieces of dough, flatten each or roll 1/4 inch thick. Place a generous portion of the filling in the center, bring the edges together, and press to seal securely -- All edges must be free of filling. NOTE: (I wet the edges with beaten egg white for a better seal and with well floured fingers seal the dough). I then roll the pyrizhky between my palms and seal again with well floured fingers at the seam again -- this prevents the pyrizhky from opening (double sealing).  Shape into an oblong with a plump center and tapering ends. This is the traditional shape of pyrizhky. Makes about 22 to 24.

NOTE:  If you have a bread machine you can make this dough recipe .  Link>>>>>http://www.ukrainianclassickitchen.ca/index.php?topic=8457.msg9323#msg9323

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 07:23:31 PM by Olga Drozd »